One Hundred Days of Solitude 2.0

Thursday, August 26, 2004

The Naked Truth about China

Day 73

The bare naked ladies are back again!

In the shower room at the hotel pool, 3 stark-naked women spotted.
One, as fat as comedian Rozanne Barr, was magnificiently standing there drying herself. The other two were at different stages of showering.

The shower room was just open space, with shower heads sticking out of the wall. Just like a men's shower room. After seeing a naked women in the shower room at the Shanghai hotel, this still shocks me here.

The bare-chested men are "in"...

One of the first things I noticed when I got to Jilin was that the men go out without their shirts own. Like your dad in the privacy of the home.

Perhaps, it's summer. Since Jilin is located in the very north of China, I guess people here want to savour all the sunny weather that they can. In another 2 months, the temperature would dip to zero.

Perhaps, it was the hotpot dinner that they were having at the time.
Perhaps, it just fashionable.

It's hip to be in pyjamas!

The first time I saw a women walking in the street in the morning in her nightgown, I thought she was just making a quick stop downstair to buy the newspaper.
Then, I saw a man dressed in pyjamas shopping for groceries in the mall, I thought he was a nutcase!
Then, I spotted a whole family (parents with their 2 teenage children) in their pyjamas in the supermarket at the mall.

I don't mean the grocery or convenience store around the corner of your home. I am talking about a supermarket located in a shopping mall in central Shanghai!

In case of emergency, leave the door open...

I remember the time when I walked into the office lavatory and found someone was sitting on toilet with the cubicle door wide open.

Perhaps, she made it in the nick of time. No time to close the door!

It dawned on me that perhaps, it's normal even for a cosmopolitan city like Shanghai.

Talk about being comfortable in your own skin!

For that One of a Kind experiments

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home